Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Why English?

Hey Everyone,
Today in class, a student asked me, "Why do we have to do read these novels? When are we ever going to have to analyze a novel?" At the time, I have to admit that I was pretty annoyed by the question and frustrated by my inability to give a sufficient answer. I was flustered and caught off guard and so gave the standard teacher response, "Because it's part of the curriculum... Because you need a grade... Because this is what we're doing!" My failure to provide an adequate and thoughtful response has been bothering me all day. In reality, the question is more than fair - of course you would want to know why you are being forced to read, analyze and discuss novels that may be of little interest to you! Maybe I should be concerned that more of you HAVEN'T asked me this question : )  In any case, I've cleaned up the kitchen, put the baby to bed and finally have some time to sit down, think and write what I hope is a convincing argument for why English is an important and relevant part of your education.
It's true - in your professional lives after high school and (hopefully) college, the majority of you will never be called upon to analyze a work of literature. So why are we spending so much time learning these skills? The important thing is not that you are learning what characterization, setting, mood, figurative language etc. are, but that you are learning to think critically and communicate effectively. What does it mean to think critically? Thinking critically means that you have the ability to look below the surface to discover deeper meaning; you can recognize connections between people/events, causes/effects, actions/consequences; you know when to ask questions and when to be skeptical; you can form well reasoned opinions and express those opinions in an articulate way.  What does it mean to communicate effectively? An effective communicator can explain both simple and complex ideas to others; use logic and reason to make an argument; recognize his/her audience and speak appropriately; and choose his/her words purposefully.  My goal is to develop in all students the ability to think critically and to then clearly and concisely communicate an idea.  These skills are absolutely necessary for success in practically every field and profession - regardless of whether you are a mechanic, a professional athlete, a politician or a neurosurgeon.  You are going to have a very difficult time in life if you cannot think critically and communicate effectively.  We try to teach these skills by showing you examples of good writing (the novels and mentor texts), helping you improve your own communicative abilities (by working in groups, responding to questions) and giving you an opportunity to express yourselves creatively (writing your own novel).   In addition, reading works of literature not only helps to enhance your own vocabulary (thus improving your ability to effectively communicate),  but it also gives you a window into how different people live and think, and provides a model for creative expression.
If you've read this entire post - THANKS!!! I hope it helped clarify the purpose of our class.  I feel better having got all of this off my chest - I think I can finally go to sleep : ) I welcome any comments or questions you have - I'm still waiting for someone to post the first comment on my blog!
See you all bright and early tomorrow morning : ) Good night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment